First impressions are important. Your smile is a crucial element in the impression that you leave. Imperfections in your teeth, even minor ones, can have the wrong effect. No matter who you are meeting, you want to leave the right mark. At National Dental Melville, we can help restore your smile, fixing minor dental imperfections and allowing you to leave the right first impression, with dental bonding.
What is Dental Bonding?
There are several types of minor imperfections that can greatly impact the quality of your smile. These imperfections include such things as:
- Small chips.
- Small cracks.
- Gaps between your teeth.
- Teeth that are smaller than the rest.
- Teeth that are slightly misshapen.
Dental bonding can be used to fix all of these minor imperfections. Bonding is a composite resin, which is made up of plastic, fine glass and other materials. Composite resin is flexible. It can be shaped and molded to fit a variety of different needs. It is also white, matching the color of your natural enamel.
How is Dental Bonding Done?
The procedure for dental bonding is simple, painless and quick. It usually takes less than an hour to complete. We start by cleaning and drying the affected teeth. An acidic gel is then applied to those teeth, which creates a rough surface on your enamel. This texture will help your bonding material to better adhere to your teeth. The gel is washed off and your teeth dried again. The bonding material is then applied to your teeth and shaped as needed. We then dry it with a special light. Finally, the material is polished to a beautiful finish, restoring your smile.
Does Dental Bonding Require Special Care?
The composite resin used for dental bonding is highly effective at restoring the quality of your smile. However, it is not the strongest material, so special care should be taken. You should avoid biting down on anything too hard (such as ice or your fingernails). You should also avoid using your teeth as tools to open packaging or break tags. Maintain a regular brushing and flossing routine. This will help to limit plaque and bacteria buildup that can cause gum disease. Maintaining regular dental visits (at least twice a year) is also important. Not only will we clean and examine your teeth, but we will also check the condition of your dental bond.
Benefits of Dental Bonding
While the composite resin material used for bonding may not be the strongest, it does have many benefits:
- The composite resin is white. It matches the color of your natural enamel so that it blends in with the rest of your teeth. No one will be able to tell that it is there.
- Bonding is a completely pain-free procedure. You will not even need a local anesthetic.
- The procedure for bonding is quick. It typically takes less than an hour to complete. This means that there is a minimal interruption in your regular schedule.
- Bonding is one of the most affordable options available for restoring imperfections in your teeth.
- It is non-invasive and does not require any enamel removal (unlike options such as veneers and crowns).
- A restored smile will restore your confidence
If minor imperfections have affected your smile, dental bonding may be able to help. Call National Dental Melville today at (631) 816-2277 to learn more.