There have been all kinds of technological developments in the dental field in recent years. These developments have allowed us to greatly improve the quality of care that we can provide, from diagnoses to treatment plans. At National Dental Melville, we take advantage of many of these technological developments, including ICAT.
What is ICAT?
There are several types of digital imaging technologies, including X-rays, CAT scans, and CT scans. ICAT technology is an extremely advanced form of digital imaging. ICAT uses technology similar to that of digital X-rays while producing images similar to those produced by a CT scan. Images are captured using a cone-shaped X-ray beam, which rotates a full 360 degrees around your head. As it rotates, it captures a series of images. As soon as your scan is complete, the series of images are connected, generating one single 3-dimensional picture. It will show us all of the structures inside your mouth, including your teeth, bones, soft tissues and your nerves. This will allow for us to make a much more accurate diagnosis, and create a customized treatment plan that will provide you with the best possible results.
Preparing for Your Scan
There is the minimal preparation that needs to be done before your scan. When you arrive, you will be instructed to remove all jewelry, such as earrings and necklaces. You will need to remove hairpins, clips or any other metal from your hair. Glasses and hearing aids will also need to be removed.
Getting Your Scan
Once you are ready for your scan, we will have you sit at the machine, and tell you to place your chin on the rest. We will then perform all necessary adjustments that will allow us to get an accurate image. When you are situated, we will instruct you to stay completely still. The entire scan will take less than a minute from start to finish, but staying still is essential. As soon as the scan is complete, it will only take a few more seconds, and the 3-dimensional image will appear on the monitor, ready for reading.
What is the Image Used For?
With this single 3-dimensional image, we have a unique look into your mouth. It can be used for some different purposes including:
- Determining bone loss in your jaw, and if you a candidate for dental implants.
- Optimal implant placement.
- Taking a look inside of your teeth, which can help us to perform an accurate root canal.
- Checking for impacted teeth.
- Diagnosing pathological diseases.
- Viewing your sinus cavities, nasal passageways, and even nerve passageways.
- Planning jaw surgery.
There are several benefits associated with ICAT technology:
- The 3-dimensional image provides exact 1 to 1 measurements. This allows us to design, and then fabricate, restorations that will fit perfectly into your mouth.
- We can see the structures of your mouth from multiple angles.
- The special software gives us the ability to manipulate the image in some different ways.
- We can see all of the structures in your mouth – soft tissues, bone, teeth, and nerves.
- The scan is quick (less than a minute) and completely painless.
- Your completed scan shows up almost immediately, ready for reading. Moreover, you can see the image as well. We can explain what we find and discuss your treatment options.
With ICAT technology, we can provide you with the best possible care that is personalized to your specific needs. Call National Dental Melville today at (631) 816-2277 to learn more.