PROFESSIONAL DENTAL CLEANINGS
You hear all the time how important it is to brush and floss your teeth at home. The ADA (American Dental Association) recommends that you brush at least twice a day, and floss at least once. However, your at-home oral care routine is only a part of a larger picture. At National Dental Melville, we can help you to maintain optimal oral health with professional cleanings.
Why is a Professional Cleaning So Important?
Plaque, a sticky substance that is found on the surface of your teeth, and oral bacteria both occur naturally. Throughout the course of the day, they build up. Brushing and flossing are two essential habits for keeping them under control. Even if you strictly adhere to the ADA guidelines, however, your teeth have small crevices, and some spaces between them may be hard to reach. If these areas are missed on a regular basis, both plaque and bacteria can begin to erode tooth enamel and irritate gum tissue, causing tooth decay and gum disease. This is where your professional cleanings come in. At National Dental, we can see the hard to reach areas and remove buildup, helping to prevent serious oral health issues from occurring.
Does It Make a Difference?
We recommend that you have at least two professional cleanings a year. It might not seem like much, but these two visits are very important. We are equipped with the latest tools and technologies to clean your teeth. When plaque sits on your teeth too long, it hardens into tartar. Tartar cannot be removed with a toothbrush. It is also rough in texture, which allows it to easily grab new plaque and bacteria. With the assistance of our intraoral camera, we can see areas that are often overlooked. Thorough cleanings help to optimize the health of your teeth and gums.
How Do We Clean Your Teeth?
Cleanings are a fairly straightforward process. We start by scraping the surfaces of your teeth, removing plaque, tartar, and bacteria build up. We will also scrape between your teeth and around the gum line. We will take the time necessary to remove even the most stubborn tartar.
Next, we will polish your teeth. This involves the use of our electric handpieces and a dental polish that contains abrasives. The head of the handpiece spins, scrubbing the surfaces of your teeth and leaving them with a beautiful finish. We then move on to flossing. This allows us to remove any lingering debris as well as any leftover polish. A fluoride treatment may be provided as well, if necessary.
What are the Benefits of a Professional Cleaning?
There are several benefits of getting a professional cleaning:
- In conjunction with at home oral care, they help to prevent serious oral health issues such as tooth decay and gum disease.
- Your teeth may appear whiter. Between scraping the surfaces of your teeth and polishing them, surface stains are removed, allowing more of the natural whiteness of your enamel to shine through.
- Your breath will be fresher.
- Your overall health will be improved. When bacteria get into your teeth, they can enter your bloodstream, which can lead to heart disease, diabetes or stroke. By taking care of your teeth (thereby preventing gum disease and tooth decay), you can help to maintain your overall health.
- You save money. By preventing serious oral health issues, you prevent the need for invasive, expensive, treatments.
If it’s time for your professional cleaning, call National Dental Melville today at (631) 816-2277 to schedule your appointment!